Tokyo Climate & Temperature
- Tokyo, Japan is at 35°40'N, 139°46'E, 37 m (120 ft). See map.
- Tokyo has a humid subtropical climate that is mild with no dry season, constantly moist (year-round rainfall). Summers are hot and muggy with thunderstorms. Winters are mild with precipitation from mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate. (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfa).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Tokyo is situated in or near the warm temperate moist forest biome.
- The annual mean temperature is 15.6 degrees Celsius (60.1 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 21.9 °C (39.4°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype subcontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 10.4°C (50.8°F) on average falling to 2.3°C (36.1°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 17.9°C (64.3°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 9.7°C (49.5°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 28.3°C (82.9°F) and average low temperatures are 21.6°C (70.9°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 21.5°C (70.7°F) during the day and lows of 14.4°C (58°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1405.5 mm (55.3 inches) which is equivalent to 1405.5 Litres/m² (34.47 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2020 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Tokyo you would come out nearest to the climate station at Torres, Brazil where you would find a Humid subtropical climate (Subtropical moist forest biome).
Rio de Janeiro,
Climate of Tokyo, Japan Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below:
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Nikko, Japan - 119.9 kms (74.5 miles) NNW
- Maebashi, Japan - 102.3 kms (63.6 miles) NW
- Kumagaya, Japan - 62.5 kms (38.8 miles) NNW
- Chichibu, Japan - 71.1 kms (44.2 miles) WNW
- Kofu, Japan - 109.6 kms (68.1 miles) W
- Kawaguchiko, Japan - 92.7 kms (57.6 miles) WSW
- Yokohama, Japan - 29 kms (18 miles) SSW
- Mishima, Japan - 98.4 kms (61.1 miles) SW
- Ajiro, Japan - 92.8 kms (57.7 miles) SW
- Oshima, Japan - 110.1 kms (68.4 miles) SSW